‘If you can sense it and feel it, you can change it’ – Thomas Hanna
Hanna Somatic Movement Education is a gentle, movement-based approach to eliminating chronic muscle pain and improving movement and function for the long term.
HSME works by targeting the root cause of most chronic muscular pain – the brain. To understand how to eliminate your pain, it is important to understand what causes it in the first place.
Sensory Motor Amnesia (SMA) is the condition of chronically tight muscles that develops due to poor posture, accidents, injuries, surgeries and on-going stress. The muscles become stuck and remain contracted due to messages from your brain – and they are unable to fully relax. Because the brain controls the muscles, it must also be involved in teaching them to relax, to release tension and remember how to move easily and efficiently again.
Through a series of somatic movements, I will teach you how to relax the muscles that are contributing to your pain and give you techniques that will help you to reduce muscle tension and pain in the future. With Hanna Somatic Education you can restore full nervous system control of both muscles and movement.
Benefits of Somatic Movement Education include;
- Long term pain relief from common muscle pain conditions as well as headaches, breathing problems and accident traumas.
- Lifelong skills that teach you how to regain voluntary control of habitually tight muscles.
- Improved posture and increased flexibility, co-ordination, balance and proprioception.
- Improved range and ease of movement.
- A safe, easy and common sense alternative to drugs and surgery.