What is soft tissue therapy and how will it help you?
Soft Tissue Therapy involves the manipulation of the soft tissues of the body (muscles, connective tissue/fascia, tendons and ligaments) and involves a range of massage and osteopathic techniques to assess, treat and rehabilitate injuries, minor and chronic pain conditions and any dysfunction of the neuro-musculoskeletal system.
Soft Tissue Therapy helps alleviate the discomfort that comes with everyday occupational stresses, muscular over use, dysfunction and many chronic pain conditions. It helps to keep the body functioning and moving at optimal levels.
Techniques used will include massage, soft tissue release, muscle energy techniques, neuro-muscular techniques, myofascial release and somatic movement exercises.
Benefits of Soft Tissue Therapy include:
- Relieves muscular pain, spasm and corrects muscle imbalance
- Improves joint flexibility and range of movement
- Reduces postural problems and improves postural awareness
- Helps to identify potential causes of symptoms and assists in injury prevention
- Speeds up recovery from training and aids rehabilitation
- Promotes relaxation
- Forms part of a training regime to optimise performance – in sports and general movement
- Assists in recovering full function following accidents or surgery
- Corrects dysfunctional movement patterns
Treatment also includes, if appropriate, a clear programme of exercises to follow at home, which will enhance recovery. Therefore, if you have had an injury or are suffering from pain anywhere in the body, then soft tissue therapy will be an effective treatment to help you stay active, move with ease and be pain free.